There are many different types of genetic tests. At Myriad, our focus is on hereditary cancer tests, prognostic tests and personalized medicine. The goal of our tests is to:
- Provide valuable information for you and your healthcare provider to use for customizing medical management plans
- Inform you and your healthcare provider on whether you have a genetic mutation known to increase your risk for certain inherited cancers
- Enable your healthcare provider to better predict disease aggressiveness so you and your healthcare provider can make more informed treatment decisions.
- Assists your healthcare provider in making important decisions about your medical management
If cancer occurs frequently in your family, genetic testing may be an important step for you. If a greater than average risk is found:
- More frequent monitoring can help detect cancer at an earlier, more treatable stage
- Preventive strategies can be discussed that may reduce your risk of developing cancer
- You and your healthcare provider can make more informed decisions on your treatment options
Knowing about an inherited mutation gives you power to take steps that may help reduce your risk for developing certain cancers, or detect cancer at an earlier, more treatable stage.
To begin the process of seeing if genetic testing is right for you, check out Myriad’s Hereditary Cancer Quiz.